Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Drop 2 or More Sizes Just by Going Shopping!"

Yesterday I wore a pair of capris that I bought last summer. They are a size 12. They were literally falling off. I had the teenage-boy-droopy-bum-jean look. I should have been overjoyed at the validation of losing weight and needing a smaller size. But, as much as I love fashion and the ability to wear more styles because of my smaller size, I don't love spending money. Then, there's the existential crisis of "Do I keep these size 12 pants just in case?"

Existential crisis aside, I marched off at lunch time to find pants that fit. I found a very cute pair of replacement capris that were quite snug but the sales staff assured me that's the way I should buy them as they will "stretch quite a bit". They were a size 4.

Now, I know I'm NOT a size 4. I think I'm a real size 8, or more likely, a 10 and I'm very happy with this. But over the last several years I've notice a trend in retail clothing that has been labeled vanity or flattery sizing. It made me think of the complicity of various industries in the current obesity crisis.

The many designer names in the fashion industry seem to be sized to sell. They don't want us to feel bad about being a double-digit size lest we lose our desire to buy. And companies in the food and entertainment industries want to Super Size it to give us "better value." But what are we really gaining by purchasing a "Jumbo popcorn for just 50 cents more" when we go to see a movie - except a heck of a lot of extra fat and calories. We're getting bigger and no business in its right mind wants us to "feel bad" about it.

This industrial subterfuge should be tackled by grassroots organizations, watchdog groups and government regulation. But we must never forget that we are responsible for our own health and well-being. And we should never confuse positive self esteem and an acceptance of our bodies with bad health and self destructive lifestyle habits. Accepting my pear-shaped body is a good thing, and aspiring to be a very fit pear (or apple for that matter) is even better.

But I'm not activist rabble-rouser or a purist. I believe vanity -- to a point -- can definitely play a positive roll in our health and wellness. Enter - The Skinny Jean. Last year I tried a 4-week fitness program called Skinny Jeans. Oh. My. Gosh. What a tough program! Tons of cardio, yoga and strength training, often two sessions a day. I did manage to complete the program and yes, I fit into my skinniest jeans at the end of 4 weeks - real size 8s!

I felt amazingly fit and strong after completing the program and I learned a lot about how I have to train smart and train hard to really make a difference in my fitness. But no real person (celebs aren't real people are they?) can sustain 2 workouts 5 days a week unless they are an elite athlete like my buddy and triathlete James Greenwood. The dude is super human. So I've returned to 4 workouts a week and a nice normal diet sans the jumbo popcorn. I feel great.

After my retail and fitness adventures, I can safely say I'm happier being a real, fit size 8/10 than a fake size 4.

FITFABFORTY



Fit, Fabulous and 40 is dedicated to anyone who is committed to staying fabulous by eating well, keeping active and maintaining a positive frame of mind. This takes work, so let's do it together. Drop me a comment any time, pass on tips and tricks or just follow along. You don't have to be 40, but you do have to be fabulous!

1 comments:

Nikkie Ruud said...

Yes I have noticed this over the past few years as well, until I figured out what was going on I just thought I was loosing weight without trying..whoohooo!! But of course that is not the case. Now to be honest I am not sure what size I am, so I just make sure when I go shopping that the clothes fit right, I am comfortable...and try not to look at the size tag.